transferring 457 visa to new employer

When applying for your 457 Visa, you may well apply with the intention of remaining with the same employer for the full duration of your stay within Australia. 4 years is a long time though so what happens if you want to move to another city or change employers? Perhaps you’ve been offered better pay for the same type of work or maybe you’re just unhappy with your employer.

Thankfully it’s a relatively simple process to transfer your 457 visa between employers and we’ll provide an overview of the process within this article.

Firstly, if you have been granted a 457 visa and you want to change your employer or occupation you are not required to apply for a new visa. With that said, this doesn’t mean that you can simply start working for the new employer?

Before you can transfer a 457 visa to another employer, you must be nominated by your proposed new employer and have that nomination approved first. If you don’t do this then the consequences can be quite serious. There is even a chance that your 457 visa could be cancelled so it’s important to take the necessary steps to transfer your 457 visa properly.

The employer nomination process

In order for your new employer to nominate you, they need to hold a valid Standard Business Sponsorship or be eligible and willing to apply for a valid Standard Business Sponsorship. Once they have this they will need to lodge a 457 nomination transfer application to sponsor you. As part of the nomination process, the new employer may need to prove that the position is a genuine requirement for their business and that they are offering a ‘market rate’ salary.

If you are moving from one job into a job doing something completely different then keep in mind that the duties of the new position will determine the occupation that should be nominated by your new employer. It’s not a problem to be nominated for a different occupation as long as you can meet the requisite skill level.

457 Visa validity following transfer to a new employer

It is important to note that the Subclass 457 visa under the new employer maintains the same validity. What we mean by this is that a new nomination only allows you to change your employer or occupation. It does not extend the term of your 457 visa nor change the conditions that are attached to your visa.

This means if you have already been in Australia for 12 months at the time that you transfer your 457 visa to another employer, you will only have three years of your four year visa term remaining with the new employer.

Leaving your Job then finding a new sponsor

If, during your time in Australia you choose to leave your job (or are made redundant) there are a number of options available to you.

You can find another 457 sponsor, apply for a different type of visa (if you are eligible) or simply leave Australia and return to your country of origin.

If you cease employment, once the Department of Immigration is notified, they will send you a letter. You have a period of 90 days from the date on this letter to find a new employer willing to sponsor you. If you are unable to find a new employer willing to offer you a 457 visa then you will need to depart Australia.

With this in mind it’s important to recognise that it is much more preferable to transfer your 457 visa to another employer rather than quitting your job and looking elsewhere. If you quit your job you have 90 days to find something else. If you don’t then you will need to leave Australia.

How long does it take to Transfer a 457 between employers

Thankfully the transfer process happens quite promptly. The normal processing time for a 457 nomination transfer is approximately 2 weeks.

Any questions?

We hope our article has helped provide a better understanding around the transfer 457 visa between employers however If you have any further questions, please feel free to post them in our comments.


Comments are closed.

  1. aman 3 years ago

    Hi, I’m on 457 visa from last 3 years, and I already applied 187 subclass after completed 2 years , I got only rcb approval, but nomination and visa application didn’t yet, now my employer changed company so can I get Pr or not ? Any chance? If my PR does cancel , what will the option because I got 1 year left 457 visa that will be cancel or valid, plz reply?

  2. 457 Jobs 3 years ago

    Hi Denzil, yes it can although the chances of the current employer becoming aware once the transfer of your visa takes place is obviously quite high.

    Best approach is to make sure the new employer is able to sponsor you and has the appropriate approvals to transfer in place prior to giving notice with your current employer.

    All the best


  3. Denzil Pemberthy 3 years ago

    HI. Can the transfer application take place without the current employer knowing, until the employee actually wanted to leave, giving the required amount of notice. Obviously if the transfer wasn’t successful then a person may not want to leave their current employer. However, this situation would be quite difficult if the current employer knew the employee was looking to move on.

  4. puneet 3 years ago

    hi my new employer has filed nomination transfer application on 16 march 2016 its been more than 2 weeks now is there a timeline for immigration to respond? also do i need to intimate my current employer of this or immi. dept. will notify my current employer abt my visa transfer

  5. Andrea A.P 4 years ago

    I have a question regarding 457 conditions.
    Ittended to a pre-employment trial assessment of 1 day and the company sent me a gift card of $200 after 20 days of the assessment. I am not employed at that company and I am waiting for the nomination approval from someone else (Which by the way, it’s already 4 weeks and a half since lodged).
    I know that is illegal to accept any kind of payments for any kind of work except from the employer. But what about a gift card? The company said it’s legal but… I really dont want to risk my visa for 200$. Any advice and opinion would be much appreciated!

  6. 457 Jobs 4 years ago

    Hi Johan, If a new employer then the 2 years starts again unfortunately. There are ways to apply sooner through Direct Entry Stream though.

  7. Johan 4 years ago

    Hi would like to know if you get a new sponsor does your time to apply for pr start again or can you apply 2 years after you entered Australia.

  8. Stephen tam 4 years ago

    I hold my bridging visa on 457 visa around 8 months. I dont know what’s happen in my company. When i hold the briding visa,can i change my job? And what should i do ??

  9. 457 Jobs 4 years ago

    If you have a skill in demand and we have jobs listed then thetre is nothing stopping you from applying to work in Australia Rejoice!

  10. Rejoice A. Pallan 4 years ago

    I want to work in Australia is it possible?? I’m presently employed as a technical service manager in Jeddah Saudi Arabia. My contract is nearly finished that’s why I’m looking for a new one. I’m a graduate of Automotive Engineering.. I hope there’s a job for me there. Thank you very much…

  11. Rajesh Rajasekaran R 3 years ago

    Hi, i own a WP 457 sponsored by my employer in india. Unfortunately, the position was dropped from client and i couldnt travel. There are no openings in other projects in AUS. Now, can i directly apply to jobs in AUS and initiate a transfer from india?

©2019 457 Jobs Australia - Australia's largest job board dedicated to Australian Jobs offering 457 Sponsorship

Other Sites in our network: Australia Migration Services | Social Media Marketing Services Australia | Sponsored 457 Job Listings Australia


Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?